Message to the YES Community About Coronavirus
How YES is responding to COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
May 19, 2020
Families with school aged children who qualify for free or reduced price meals are eligible to receive a Pandemic – Electronic Benefits Transfer (P-EBT) card for additional food support during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the resources below for more information. Information is available in English, Spanish, Chinese, and Vietnamese.
May 4, 2020
YES Executive Director, Bryan Van Dorpe, shares video a message to the Boston community. The good news is that YES is open, but our doors are open in a different way. We are currently providing virtual programming and activities for our young people. The best way to help right now is to make a donation. Visit yeskids.org/donate to contribute online. Every gift made to YES by June 30 will be matched by the Gross Family! Thanks for your support.
March 30, 2020
YES’s office at 412 Massachusetts Avenue is currently closed. Programming will be cancelled, rescheduled, or moved to virtual venues. YES staff continue to work remotely. Please reach out to individual staff members or [email protected] with any questions.
Spring Track & Field first practice has been rescheduled to Monday, May 4.
March 27, 2020
As the impact of the crisis continues to evolve and affect every member of the community, Youth Enrichment Services (YES) has been working to creatively support our youth through virtual platforms. From digital workshops on resume writing, college financial aid, and self-care for teens in our Leadership Corps program to fun virtual workouts and drills to encourage children in our Track & Field Program to be active at home, we are keeping connected with our young people during this unique time.
The leadership team here at YES will continue to monitor evolving guidelines from local, state, and federal health officials and will update our families as soon as we can safely move forward with program planning and implementation. The focus of our spring and summer activities will be the healing, health, and wellness of many families and youth who have experienced isolation and have no opportunities or connections available to them.
March 24, 2020
The 10th Annual YES Black Diamond Gala has been rescheduled for Monday, October 5 at the Seaport Hotel. More info coming soon – watch your inbox!
YES Spring Track & Field will delay its first week until Monday, April 27.
March 20, 2020
The Boston College MBA 5K to benefit Youth Enrichment Services (YES) on Saturday, April 4 has been cancelled. Thank you and please continue to watch the YES website and Facebook page for continued updates.
March 16, 2020
YES’s office at 412 Massachusetts Avenue will remain be open, although programming will be cancelled, re-scheduled, or moved to virtual venues.
The information below may be adjusted if and when more information is released and/or state or city policies are announced.
- The upcoming weekend (March 21-22, 2020) snowsports trips to Wachusett Mountain (Mass Snow Challenge) and Jiminy Peak are cancelled.
- Adult Last Run scheduled for early April is cancelled.
Spring Track and Field
- Opening session of practice has been moved to Monday, April 6, 6 p.m. at Moakley Park. (This date coincides with the state’s current three week closing for schools.)
- The final 2 weeks of winter Leadership Corps (LC) programming will be moved to virtual, utilizing chat rooms with opportunities for LCs to engage in resume writing, college financial aid application help, and other tutorials.
- Spring Leadership Corp Registration will continue with a tentative start date of late April.
- LC Last Run is cancelled.
- LC April Vacation College is cancelled. A possible adventure trip to Swann Lodge is in the planning stages.
- Mass Snow Challenge (March 21) – The event has been cancelled.
- Black Diamond Gala (April 9) – Plans are underway for rescheduling and/or re-inventing the YES Gala. Stay tuned!
- Boston Marathon (April 20) – The BAA Marathon had been moved to September 14. More information will be forthcoming as to how this will affect YES’s Charity Team.
Please email the appropriate staff contact at YES or our general mailbox ([email protected]) with any questions or concerns. Thank you and please continue to watch the YES website and Facebook page for continued updates.
March 13, 2020
In light of the current issues surrounding COVID-19, YES will be cancelling all trips this weekend, March 14-15, 2020. We will continue to monitor the ongoing and ever-changing situation and follow the recommendations and guidelines of the Center for Disease Control and Boston Public Health Commission. YES’s top priority is the safety and health of our youth, families, volunteers, and staff.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
YES staff will be available for optional equipment returns between 9am and 1pm tomorrow, Saturday, March 14th. Please continue to use caution. If you return equipment, please wipe or spray it down with a disinfectant and use the hand sanitizer in the entry way upon entering YES. You will receive more information about other times to return gear at a later date.
March 10, 2020
We wanted to reach out and send our community a message about how Youth Enrichment Services (YES) is responding to COVID-19, otherwise known as Coronavirus. The health, well-being, and safety of our youth, staff, and volunteers has always been – and continues to be – our highest priority.
We understand that many of you may be concerned about participating in YES programs and events amid the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak. I want to reassure you that we are taking the evolving situation seriously and taking additional steps to be prepared.
Cleaning & Sanitation
- We have increased the frequency of professional cleaning at the YES office located at 412 Massachusetts Ave in Boston.
- We have been routinely disinfecting all surfaces throughout public space areas in the YES office and disinfecting used equipment.
- We have hand sanitizer pumps located throughout the YES building, as well soap and water in all restrooms.
Participation in YES Programs and Visiting our Office
- If you are feeling sick or showing signs of illness, please stay home. Out of an abundance of caution, we are extending this request to also apply if anyone in your household is feeling sick or showing signs of illness – please stay home.
- We also encourage each participant to bring their own hand sanitizer for YES trips.
Cancellation of YES Programs and Events
As of today, we are proceeding with programs and events as planned. This status may change in the coming days and weeks as the situation evolves. If changes are made to programs or events, you will be notified via email and a notice will also be posted on the YES website (www.yeskids.org) and Facebook page (www.facebook.com/yeskidsboston).
If you have additional questions, please reach out to the appropriate contact listed below. I am also available via email or phone at [email protected] or 617-267-5877 x18.
- Operation SnowSports and Track & Field Programs: Laura Neubauer, Director of Programs & Operations – [email protected]
- Leadership Corps and College Prep Programs: Shiona DeCarvalho, Director of Impact & YES Academy – [email protected]
- Gala and fundraising events: Jamie Burch, Senior Director of Development – [email protected]
- Adult Volunteers: Ethan George, Volunteer and Outdoor Adventure Manager – [email protected]
In order for YES’s building, programs, and events to be safe spaces, we are asking all members of our community to think of others and be proactive by following the above recommendations and following commonsense practices to prevent the spread of germs.
Additional helpful resources are listed at the bottom of this letter.
Thank you for your support during this challenging and evolving health crisis.
- How to Stop the Spread of Germs: https://www.mass.gov/doc/stop-the-spread-of-germs-respiratory-diseases-like-flu-and-covid-19/download
- COV-19 Symptoms: https://www.mass.gov/doc/english-2019-novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-0/download
- How to Protect Yourself: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public
- Understanding the Virus: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/