The Leadership Corps at Youth Enrichment Services (YES) is a program offering Boston teens (ages 13-18) the opportunity to develop their leadership potential as they participate in and coach outdoor activities. This Fall, the Leadership Corps will equip students with tools to navigate what it means to be a leader in our communities during these unprecedented times. As LCs youth will take part in leadership development workshops, one-on-one support, college prep, and volunteer opportunities through youth-led project groups.
Session 1: October 13, 2020 – December 10, 2020
Session 2: January, 2021 – March 2021 (Exact dates TBD)
*Participants in Session 1 can join Session 2 without completing a new application
Time & Days:
- Drop-in virtual study hour and one-on-one advising:
- Monday-Thursday, 3pm-4pm
- LC Meeting – youth join once a week based on grade level:
- Mondays, 4pm-5pm – 8th & 9th Grade
- Tuesdays, 4pm-5pm – 10th Grade
- Wednesday, 4pm-5pm – 11th & 12th Grade
- Volunteer Project Groups – youth join once a week based on selected project:
- Monday-Thursday, 5pm-7pm
*In keeping with public health guidelines during COVID-19, YES is currently limiting in-person programming. All LC programming will be held virtually during Session 1. Youth can choose to take part in small & socially distant gatherings and volunteer projects throughout the season if they feel comfortable. More updates will be released on snowsports this season as we observe the state’s and our partners’ reopening plans.
- Youth participate in weekly leadership development workshops, focusing on topics from effective communication, to conflict resolution, to perfecting their resume/interview skills.
- Youth-led project groups offer LC’s the chance to explore their passions and practice their leadership skills. Some examples of past virtual project groups include photojournalism, current events, and creating a resource guide for teens. See examples on our youth-created website.
- Phased-in opportunities for in-person volunteering such as working in our ski/snowboard rental shop and co-facilitating outdoor activities for younger youth.
- The college preparation program will provide LC’s in 11th and 12th grade with information, guidance, and continued personal support on applying to colleges. Students will be prepared for their post-secondary transition with the skills they need to succeed.
We will be holding virtual info sessions for anyone who wants to learn more about the Leadership Corps program! Sign up for a session with the links below!
- Monday, September 21 at 3pm
- Monday, September 21 at 6:30pm
- Wednesday, September 23 at 3pm
- Wednesday, September 23 at 6:30pm
*Leadership Corps is a free-of-cost program.
Contact YES Academy staff at [email protected] with any questions.
Would you like to refer a teen to our program? Submit a referral here.