The Leadership Corps (LC) at Youth Enrichment Services (YES) is a program offering teens the opportunity to develop their leadership potential as they participate in and coach outdoor activities. Leadership Corps programs are offered year round: Leadership Corps: Operation SnowSports (October-March); Leadership Corps: Outdoor Adventure (April-June); Summer Leadership Corps (July-August).
Leadership Corps (School-Year)
The school-year Leadership Corps (October-March) supports YES’ Operation SnowSports programs. Teens develop their leadership and career readiness skills through participating in workshops and trainings and put those skills into practice through volunteering with YES’ ski & snowboard rental shop and supporting SnowSports trips.
LC Volunteer Tracks:
- Rental Shop – ALL LCs volunteer in the rental shop on their chosen workshop/shop night once a week
- LCs will choose at least one of these 3 tracks:
- Downhill Ski or Snowboard Confidence Coach – teach others how to ski/ride (will choose at least 3 weekend trips to support during the January-March SnowSports season)
- Cross Country Ski Confidence Coach – teach others how to cross-country ski (will choose at least 3 weekday trips to support during the January-March SnowSports season)
- Impact Intern – document SnowSports trips through photos, videos, interviews, surveys, and help create content for YES social media pages (will choose at least 3 weekend trips to support during the January-March SnowSports season)
- Youth Advisory Council (YAC) – LCs can apply to be part of the YAC, which plans appreciation events throughout the year, makes recommendations on programming, and ensures that youth voices are incorporated in all aspects of YES operations.
- Job readiness and leadership development workshops
- Snow Sports training: downhill skiing, downhill snowboarding, or cross-country skiing (teens who are new to snow sports are welcome!!!)
- FREE seasonal ski/snowboard equipment rentals
- Juniors and Seniors are enrolled in the College Prep program: one-on-one advising, group meetings throughout the year, seniors eligible to apply for YES’ Richard Williams Memorial Scholarship
- One-on-one advising and goal setting with YES staff throughout the year
- LCs earn volunteer hours for working in the ski/snowboard rental shop and supporting SnowSports trips
- Invitations to fun events throughout the school-year!
Eligibility: 13+ year olds, enrolled in 8th-12th grade
Priority Eligibility: Preference for Boston residents (especially living in Mattapan, Roxbury, and Dorchester); Previous YES program participants/returning LCs
Mandatory Orientation: October 11th – 14th, 2021 (teen and parent/guardian must attend)
Program Dates: October 18th, 2021 – April 2nd, 2022
Workshop/Shop Nights: Teens choose one night a week (4pm-7pm) from October-March
- Mondays (4pm-7pm) – preferred night for *NEW LCs*
- Tuesdays (4pm-7pm) – preferred night for *Returning LCs*
- Wednesdays (4pm-7pm) – preferred night for *Returning LCs* & those interested in being Impact Interns
- Thursdays (4pm-7pm) – preferred night for *Junior & Senior LCs* (11th & 12th graders)
- NEW LCs are required to attend a Training Weekend in the first couple weeks of January, 2022
- Downhill Trips occur on Saturdays or Sundays in January-March. Downhill Ski/Snowboard Confidence Coach & Impact Intern LCs will pick at least 3 of these weekend trips to support.
- Cross Country Ski trips occur during the week after-school (exact days/times TBD). Cross Country Ski Confidence Coach LCs will pick at least 3 of these weekday trips to support.
Application Coming Soon…
*Leadership Corps is a free-of-cost program.
Contact YES Academy staff at [email protected] with any questions.
Would you like to refer a teen to our program? Submit a referral here.