The Leadership Corps at Youth Enrichment Services (YES) is a program offering Boston teens (ages 13-18) the opportunity to develop their leadership potential as they participate in and coach outdoor activities. This Fall, the Leadership Corps will equip students with tools to navigate what it means to be a leader in our communities during these unprecedented times. As LCs youth will take part in leadership development workshops, one-on-one support, college prep, and volunteer opportunities through youth-led project groups.
Session 1: October 13, 2020 – December 10, 2020
Session 2: January 11, 2021 – April 2, 2021
*Participants in Session 1 can join Session 2 without completing a new application
Time & Days:
- One-on-one advising available with YES Staff – youth can set up appointments as needed, but expected to meet at least once a month to check-in
- Monday-Thursday, 2pm-4pm
- LC Meeting – youth join once a week based on grade level:
- Tuesdays, 4pm-5pm – 10th Grade
- Wednesdays, 4pm-5pm – 11th & 12th Grade
- Thursday, 4pm-5pm – 8th & 9th Grade
- Volunteer Project Groups – youth join once a week based on selected project:
- Monday-Thursday, 5pm-7pm
*In keeping with public health guidelines during COVID-19, YES is currently limiting in-person programming. Most LC programming will be held virtually during Session 2. Youth can choose to take part in small & socially distant gatherings and volunteer projects throughout the season if they feel comfortable. More updates will be released on snowsports this season as we observe the state’s and our partners’ reopening plans.
- Youth participate in weekly leadership development workshops, focusing on topics from effective communication, to conflict resolution, to perfecting their resume/interview skills.
- Youth-led project groups offer LC’s the chance to explore their passions and practice their leadership skills. Some examples of past virtual project groups include photojournalism, event planning, creating resource guides for teens, creating social media content, and serving on YES’ Youth Advisory Board. See examples on YES’s youth-created website or the LC Instagram
- Phased-in opportunities for in-person volunteering such as working in our ski/snowboard rental shop and co-facilitating outdoor activities for younger youth.
- The college preparation program will provide LC’s in 11th and 12th grade with information, guidance, and continued personal support on applying to colleges. Students will be prepared for their post-secondary transition with the skills they need to succeed.
The deadline to apply is Monday, January 4th.
*Leadership Corps is a free-of-cost program.
Contact YES Academy staff at [email protected] with any questions.
Would you like to refer a teen to our program? Submit a referral here.